Applications are processed on a first come first serve basis. Prior to applying, you should contact John L. Scott Property Management to check availability and to place a holding fee. The applicant in question will run the risk of losing the property if another applicant places a holding fee on the unit and is approved to rent. It is our policy to rent to the first qualified applicant(s) who submits a completed rental application and a holding fee. We update our list of available rentals regularly. We reserve the right to change the availability dates at our discretion and without warning.
- 12 months valid, verifiable rental history. A valid rental history is a written lease or month-to-month agreement.
- If rental history is less than 12 months or no rental history at all, then a last month’s rent -OR- a cosigner may be requested.
- 3 late payments and/or NSF checks within 12 months may require a last month’s rent -OR- cosigner.
- At least 4 accounts established for 1 year in good standing.
- If derogatory credit history (excluding medical debt) is in excess of $5,000 then a last month’s rent -OR- a cosigner may be requested.
- 12 months with current employer or previous employment in the same field of work.
- If length of employment is less than 12 months then a last month’s rent -OR- a cosigner may be requested.
- Monthly verifiable income must be equal to at least 3 times the rental amount.
- If income is less than 3 times the rental amount then a last month’s rent -OR- a cosigner may be requested.
- We must be able to verify independently the amount and stability of your income. (For example: through pay stubs, employer/source contact, or tax records. If self-employed: business license, tax records, bank records and a list of references.)
Section 8 Applicant Criteria:
- All Section 8 applicants are required to meet the same criteria as stated above, with the exception that the applicant only needs to meet income requirements for their portion of the rent.
Co-Signer Qualification Criteria:
- A cosigner will be APPROVED if all the qualifications below are met, if the cosigner does not meet any 1 of the following criteria then the cosigner will not qualify.
CREDIT: At least 4 accounts in good standing for 1 year with less than $500 in derogatory credit
INCOME: 4 times the rental amount of the unit in verifiable, garnishable income
Grounds for Denial:
- Verified unpaid eviction showing on credit report or confirmed with landlord.
- Unpaid rental collection verified on credit report.
- Balance owing to landlord.
- 4 or more late payments and/or NSF checks within a 12 month rental period (current and/or previous).
- More than 2 noise complaints within a 12 month rental period (current and/or previous).
- Unverifiable social security number.
- Breaking lease agreement that will result in collection filing.
A criminal records search will be performed for felony and misdemeanor offenses. All felony and misdemeanor offenses must be disclosed on the rental application.
TENANT SELECTION POLICY
We do not accept Reusable/Portable Reports
When reviewing a Rental Application and Tenant Screening Report we will consider extenuating circumstances (temporary loss of job, medical reasons, family emergencies, etc.). Applicant’s screening report will be reviewed for the following adverse (negative) information. Selection Policy applies to ALL HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS.
- Civil Judgments and/or collections for rentals and/or utilities
- Bankruptcy, foreclosures, negative credit
- Lack of credit history
- History of criminal behavior that may negatively affect tenancy – drugs, sex offense, theft, robbery, assault, active warrants, etc…
- Determinations as to criminal screening will be made on a case by case basis and will be based on several factors and information.
- Lack of 12 months of continuous, positive, objective rental history
- Negative and/or incomplete rental references
- Lack of proper documentation proving adequate income to pay rent (earnings need to be 3 times rent amount)
Screening Report will also be reviewed for:
- False information and/or omission of material fact listed on Rental Application
- Lack of information provided on Rental Application
Applicants need to provide:
- Copy of Social Security Card or equivalent proof of identity (Visa, Passport, etc)
- Drivers License
- Proof of adequate income
- Most recent check stub with year to date earnings
- Self Employed – Tax Returns for last two years
- Retired – Copies of Deposit slips, Investment Earnings Documentation, Social Security Earnings Documentation, Bank Deposit History
- Additional Income – Documents proving Child Support, Trust Funds, Bank Deposit History
In the event of Adverse Action (denial of tenancy, cosigner or increased deposit required) you have the right to a FREE copy of the background check we reviewed and processed by Orca Information, Inc. You also have the right to dispute the accuracy of any information therein.
Do not ask the Property Manager/Landlord for a copy of the background check. They are unable to give you a copy (Fair Credit Reporting Act). Upon Adverse Action the Property Manager/Landlord you are applying with will give to you the Consumer Rights Letter. This letter describes in detail how you may obtain a free copy of the background check.
You have the right to obtain a FREE copy of your credit report each year from every credit bureau. For a FREE copy log onto: www.annualcreditreport.com. Orca Information obtains credit reports from Trans Union.
Note: In compliance with Washington State’s Fair Tenant Screening Act of 2012, and the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), this is to inform you that the background investigation will be processed through Orca Information, Inc. We may be obtaining credit reports, court records (civil and criminal), arrest detention information, employment and rental references as needed to verify information put forth on your rental application.